Saturday, July 8, 2023

Personal apology to recent commenter

This is what you get for working on your blog when it's past your bedtime... Someone posted a comment in early July 2023 (before the 8th, when I am writing this). The "post" and "delete" icons, however, are right next to each other in the admin interface. And guess which one I clicked. Before I even got a chance to read the whole thing. Which, from the few words I did read, seems very nice and complimentary, at that.

Even better, Blogger allows you to retrieve deleted spam, because who doesn't love to enjoy spam out of the trash... but it does NOT allow you to retrieve deleted comments, even though I could think of a thousand reasons why it should, starting with: 1) every e-mail system allows you to retrieve deleted e-mails, 2) you might need them for legal reasons, like to prove harassment or slander, 3) the "post" and "delete" icons are, in case I neglected to mention, RIGHT next to each other, 4) you can retrieve deleted spam that you know you will never want, but not comments that you might reconsider needing...? Are you kidding?

Anyway, this is headlined "apology" so let me actually apologize. I'm sorry. I got excited, my mouse finger slipped, and *poof* your comment went to Internet Hell. I can blame everyone one else but I am the only one sitting at this desk. As the I.T. types put it, this is a PEBCAC situation: Problem Exists Between Computer And Chair. Mea maxima culpa.

If you are the one who send the comment, please resend it. I will CAREFULLY post it this time, I promise. And please repeat your compliment, even though I clearly do not deserve it at this point.


6 comments:

  1. Hi Paul. Let me fist say: although I have made a comment here and there on your blog before, I was not that commenter. It's just that this seemed to be as good of a place as for a more general comment.

    I will hopefully come back soon(ish) to react to some of your analyses on this album individually, but I just wanted to write a more general thank you. Over the last few years that I've been rediscovering Paul Simon, your blog has been like a faithful companion in that process.

    We've all been so blessed with an album like this with all-new material after(!) Mr. Simon's retirement, and I'm glad I looked up your blog again last night. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: your posts make me appreciate and enjoy Paul Simon even more, and considering how much Simon's music has at times seemingly carried me - kind of like a bridge over troubled water, if you will - that's not an easy thing to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sis-- I have a sister, and I am assuming you are not her, either. Thank you very much for the compliments. I was having a rough day today, and this helped me see that my efforts are noticed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As far as I'm aware, we are not related :-) But I am someones sister, and I try to be one to more than just those I'm related to.

    I'm also glad that my comment meant something. To be honest, one of my reasons for writing a more general 'thank you', is that I'm often amazed that your blog doesn't get more engagement. You must've put in LOT of hours, doing what you do here. And if I assume you are not just doing it for yourself but also for others to read and enjoy, I'm just hoping that it doesn't sometimes feel like a bit of a thankless job.

    I hope I'm not overstepping here, speculating on your personal motivations or feelings related to your blog. But yes, you've certainly been noticed, and been able to help me understand some of Simon's lyrics better. And I'm grateful for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sis-- I do feel that I have been acknowledged. I check my pageviews every week, and am closing in on one million since 2011, a mark I may hit this year (It's now above 970,000).
    But aside from the quantity of pageviews, there has been a tremendous "quality" to them as well. I have received comments that my analysis has clarified the songs' meanings, which was my core intent. But also many emotional comments from people talking about what the songs have meant to them in their lives, relationships, and families.
    I have even received thanks from readers in other countries, who were drawn by the loveliness of the lyrics but found the English poetry of them confusing-- and in one case, from a woman in Japan seeking to capture their deeper meaning for her translations into Japanese!
    Moreover, the blog has been cited in at least a dozen other places, from other music blogs to a review on Amazon of one of Simon's biographies.
    My greatest fear is that Simon's death will be what makes this blog "popular"; I always hope great artists are recognized while they are alive to hear the applause. I am grateful that Simon is getting that recognition; I have seen many recent printed and broadcast interviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you feel that your work is appreciated, Paul. I don't always agree with your readings, but they're always well reasoned and give me new things to think about.

      So many people today are finding themselves so busy or dealing with hard times that they are unable to finish their projects (e.g. music reviewer John McFerrin) which makes me sad. I'm glad that you have been able to keep up to date. Makes me more hopeful that one day I can get to the stage where I can release my own work (it still needs more time in the metaphorical oven).

      Delete
    2. J. Adams-- Thank you. As I said in an earlier response here, I do feel appreciated.
      As far as it goes, I don't expect everyone to agree with me. Heck, I don't expect ANYone to agree with me. So "sometimes" is pretty good, as far as I am concerned. I especially like that you feel my takes are well-reasoned. As a creative type, reason is not always something handy in my toolbox.
      To your other point, working on this blog has helped me deal with hard times. It gives me something else, something timeless, to think about and focus on.
      I hope you do feel you can release your own work at some point. Just know that not everything is for everyone-- heck, there are some people who don't like Paul Simon! Hard to believe, but they are out there! So as long as you are happy with your work, you should be satisfied.
      Last point-- recently, Simon has hinted that he has some stand-alone songs in the works, post-Seven Psalms. (And even the Beatles just released a song!) So I don't know if "done" is a possibility, but as long as Simon is willing to keep writing, I'll keep telling people what I think he means.

      Delete